Monday, October 11, 2010

Drive On By

I do love a good drive-by, but in recent times the meaning has somewhat changed! No gangs, violent confrontations & firearms here, just a slow amble by, a big drool, much sighing & a U-turn further down the street to repeat the exercise. In fact, those gang boys should forget the urban warfare stuff, hop into their cars & do a bit of real estate dreaming & drooling. It would help them get in touch with their feminine side & that could only be a good thing.

Looking at the real estate pages in the weekend papers, here's whats on this week's drive-by list in lovely Adelaide & the Hills. The houses on my list all have to have that certain pizzaz, great street appeal that brings the Millie-mobile to a screeching halt. Love the wonderful sandstone Victorian villa above, sitting on a big piece of land in salubrious North Adelaide. Oooooh those verandahs!! (AU$3.5-3.8m.)

And here's a really interesting Victorian terrace in Gilberton. That fretwork, interesting architectural features & fabulous wrought iron gates will have my neck stretching waaaay out of the car window. (AU$1.8m.)

Another big Victorian villa in gorgeous Unley Park. Set right back from the road basking in the evening light, I may just want to jump out & make them an offer on the spot! (EOI)

Just around the corner in Hawthorn (Adelaide's not Melbourne's!) it's the circular drive-way to this Victorian beauty that grabs me. Then the bay windows, wrought iron & wide verandahs - very nice. (POA)

Now this one looks VERY familiar. In fact I have driven past this Edwardian lovely thousands of times, because it belongs to our dear ex-neighbours in Unley! Jack & Angela & their boys were our neighbours 2 doors down for 16 years & I always loved the street appeal of their home. It sold at auction on Thursday - the new Owners should consider themselves very lucky, they have bought a home full of great warmth & charm. (AU$1.4m.)

Now what's going on here I hear you say. Is that the house, or what. Well actually it's just the start to the driveway of Fawley, a truly exquisite property in Balhannah, just up the road from us here in Stirling.

And here's what waiting for you once you traverse the long driveway - the most spectacular old period home sitting in one of the Hill's most amazing gardens. To see more pop over to Letitia's blog The White Shed. She posted on Fawley last week as she has a personal connection with the Owners & their lovely home. I'd love to know if there's one house here that you would 'chuck a U-e' for!! (For non-Aussie Hedgies - Meaning:make a U-turn. Example:Chuck a U-e mate, the pub's the other way.) (AU$3.8m.)

Images: Real Estate

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Hi Millie,

    I'm putting all of next weekend's Lotto winnings on the Victorian villa in Unley Park.
    Can't wait for you to come over for cocktail hour, but I must warn you, strictly no u-e's on the front lawn!

    x Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be just what I need to convince Beaker that Aussie is the best place in the world to live. May have to hide the prices just until we've made the move though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, beauty, beauty. Thank you for sharing my friend. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All gorgeous! I did suggest to Paul we sell one of the farms and buy Fawley but he wasn't all that keen on the idea. Taking my garden group on a visit to Ruth's in a few weeks, can't wait! Letitia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lifting my jaw up off the floor after the gorgeousness of that last garden, and the lovely homes. Ahh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Millie, what beautiful properties, I love that last garden especially. Thanks for leading me to your blog! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Millie, thanks so much for sharing these delights. You are a woman after my own heart. Tell me, are those prices realistic? It's hard to know when you don't live there. J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of New Zealand.. Beautiful architecture

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me + Fawley = Love!

    at first site of the little cottage at the bottom of the drive.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, you people over there sure know how to live. Would you send the Milliemobile over to pick me up for a scout round with you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Unley park one. Just beautiful. But that garden at the end is so pretty. Wish I could see it in person. Fiona

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails