Monday, August 3, 2009

Our Winter Garden


Here in the Adelaide Hills it is the dead of Winter. Everything in the garden is grey & bare, the trees are without their verdant green coats & the earth is freezing cold. However today the sun shone through the clouds for a little while & our camellias & rhododendrons are just starting to give us a tantalizing hint of what's to come.

I had a much-needed afternoon off before I head out to Sydney to work for the rest of the week & this is what I found as I wandered around our garden after lunch today. It was very cold, but the quiet stillness of our property refreshed me perfectly. We had a heavy rainstorm overnight, so some of the delicate blooms are a little bruised & battered, but their beauty is still awesome. Some days are diamonds, today is one of them.















15 comments:

  1. Diamonds, indeed! What gorgeous blooms. What a treat and surprise and a beautiful day. Gorgeous blooms.
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your camellias and rhododendrons are gorgeous. I hope you enjoyed the afternoon in your lovely garden Millie. Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie your camellias are beautiful. Love the all the different pinks. Hope you have a good week in Sydney. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Millie,
    Is that your winter garden? It looks my summer garden here in Stockholm §;-)

    Looks your kidding but, how I wish my garden looks like yours during winter time, but I tell you my garden is totally DEAD---NADA he he...

    Hope you have a wonderful time Sydney and enjoy.

    Much xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now they tear at the heart strings Millie...xv

    ReplyDelete
  6. c'est beau Millie!

    merci mon amie

    manon

    ReplyDelete
  7. OverthehillbutgreatviewAugust 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM

    After drooling over those diamonds your garden captured my heart. My camellias here in Tassie still in bud but my daphne flowers are packing the most gorgeous perfumed punch. xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Millie,

    Your camellia and rhododendron blooms are beautiful. I especially love the last peachy pink one.
    All the colours must be wonderful.
    Our garden looks bare with the wisteria a mass of wooden branches, but the camellias are looking pretty.
    Spring is just around the corner.

    Enjoy your time up in Sydney.
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blossoms...I just love camellias. Have a wonderful trip to Sydney! ; ) Trina

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lucky you are to have so many gorgeous camelias,2nd 3rd, 9th and 10th are my favourites. Mmmmm lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Millie, I've been hanging around your lovely blog for ages, but not commenting. Love your camellias. You have the perfect climate for them. Here in Queensland we do try our best, and can grow them, but they've already been and gone, here. And they're nothing like yours! :)

    Have a great time in Siddeney.

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails